Friday, March 23, 2012

The Time of Your Life

I just got done watching In Time, a new sci-fi action movie where people stop aging at 25, but only have a year to live...unless they get more time, which is the new currency. The heroes, one from the slums and the other the daughter of one of the richest men in the world, set about robbing banks and distributing the time to the poor. Basically, a futuristic Robin Hood story.

One of the lines in it is, "You can do a lot in a day." That got me thinking about how much I do in an average day. In some days, I can move mountains. In others, not so much. What if I only had one day left, though? Would I waste it? Would I have a leisurely breakfast, set about my normal day, and then end it by watching a couple sitcoms? No. I'd spend some of it contacting those I care about one last time, and the rest doing everything I could to make a difference.

I'm pretty sure I have more than just one day left. And maybe that's the problem. Or part of it anyway.

The other part is I don't get the urgency of my calling. I honestly believe that my calling is to help people learn who they are in Christ, yet I don't seem to get how much they need to learn it. The reason I had to edit my confidence book is because someone I used as an example was offended at what I'd written about them. If this person really understood the message, they would not have taken it as an accusation and, more importantly, wouldn't have been bothered by it even if I had meant it as one. (I had meant it only as an example of why I became what I was, not to point fingers. I never even placed blame, but what I had written was seen as such.) I don't mean to sound condescending in any way, but there are Christians who need to find out who they are in Christ. Knowing Christ is only half of it, and so many Christians live only half the life they're supposed to. Every day, they're struggling with their issues and I have help to offer, help that I need to offer as much as they need to get it.

The point of this post isn't that you need help if you're reading this or anything arrogant like that; it's that the world needs you to do your calling. In the movie, those people would have died without getting more time. It made them slaves to whoever had the time to offer, much like people who are unconfident are slaves to those who make them feel better about themselves. The poor needed the system to be changed, and two people set about changing it. What kind of difference would you make in someone's life if you pursued your calling like you only had one day left?

And that is why you need you to do your calling every bit as much as others need it. We aren't here on this earth to live for ourselves, but to find something greater than ourselves. If you're a Christian, you've already found something worth dying for. Now it's up to you to do something worth living for.

No comments:

Post a Comment