Saturday, May 23, 2009

Moving Day

I am moving tomorrow. My lease at my current apartment is up and I'm moving into a townhouse a couple miles away. It's an incredible deal and I'm pretty happy about it. But there's just so much to do here. Alerting the Post Office, bank, DMV, cell phone company, car insurance, and others that I have moved; packing; cleaning my room and bathroom; doing laundry; and examining my room for any damages that might come out of my deposit all have to be done. I also have to clean out my car and have had to get a small crew of friends together to assist in the move.

And even though I'm not particularly thrilled about any of these things, I am looking forward very much to my new place. It was when I thought this that an analogy for our live and Heaven popped into mind. We have our list of things to do while we're here and, if we know when our lease is short, we have to do many things quickly. We can't move before we are allowed into our new place. Even though we may look forward very much to our new place, we can't rush things to get there. We have to do what we should in our current place and wait until we can move in.

Here, though, is where the analogy breaks down: we don't know how long our lease on life is. We don't know when we'll have to move out. We often live our lives like we assume we'll be here ten years, twenty years, even fifty years from now. We might not be here another hour. I might get killed by a drunk driver the next time I drive somewhere. I could get mugged and shot. I could catch a fatal disease. So could you.

So the question is: if today were your moving day, would you be ready for it?

None of us has ever done all that we were intended to do on this planet. We've missed opportunities to help people, sometimes because we weren't looking and sometimes because we had bad days or didn't like the person we were supposed to help or just didn't care. We've all hurt people, too, and not just through constructive criticism that they needed to hear at the time. But how much of the things you were supposed to do will you have accomplished?

God has a plan for your life. Will you have done your best to live it? He has tasks for you to perform. Will you have performed most of them? There are people He means for you to touch. Will you have reached out to them? God has a timeline for you to finish all these things. Will you have finished them before your moving day?

No comments:

Post a Comment